Thursday, May 20, 2010

In the Kitchen

For the last few weeks I've been trying to follow a no-sugar no-flour diet. I have a sweet tooth and I LOVE bread so I thought it would be hard to follow. Yes, I have cheated while going out to eat and on vacation, but other than that I've kept to it pretty good and I'm proud to say since starting I've lost 10lbs. I also feel so much better knowing that I'm eating food that is good for my body! Before starting this diet I used to make Spaghetti almost once a week, its easy to make and one of Nicks favorites. It also is filled with empty calories. So Tuesday I decided to make a different kind of spaghetti, spaghetti squash. 1 cup of spaghetti squash has 42 calories in it, compared to one cup of pasta that has 197. What an easy way to cut back on calories.

Here is what a did-
Preheat oven to 375
Cut squash down the middle, length wise
Scrape our all the seeds and stingy stuff in the middle with a spoon
Place squash on a cookie sheet face down, rind up
Cook for 30-40 mins. When its done the rind should be a little softer
With fork scrape out all the squash strings.

Looks yummy right?!


This is what the squash looked like after I was done with it.


I also made turkey meatballs to go with it. I could not find a recipe that didn't use bread crumbs so I made one up.
1 lbs ground turkey
2 Tbps ketchup
1/2 onion minced
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
some garlic powder, salt, basil, oregano and Italian seasoning.
Mix together with hands. Form balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 30mins or until done in the center.
The verdict - I really liked the whole meal. I thought it was even better the next day. Nick thought the squash was just ok and would prefer pasta but ate his whole plate. We both loved the meatballs and I think spinach would be a great addition to them.











2 comments:

Devon said...

Well that was fast! So do you think I could trick Josh into thinking this is not squash? :)

Becka said...

Lindsey, that looks really delicious. I don't think we have spaghetti squash here. The only squasy thing I have ever seen here is pumpkin, and they look WAY different than the pumpkins back home.

I am hoping to start posting some more recipes in the next few months. I am starting to get more settled in and feeling like I can actually spend a few minutes blogging here and there.

Love you, and boy do I miss you. When I get back I want to have a massive chocolate dipping party.